Wellness Services at St. Charles Pain & Wellness Center
Electrical muscle stimulation (EMS)
Electrical muscle stimulation (EMS), also known as neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) or electromyostimulation, is the elicitation of muscle contraction using electric impulses. The impulses are generated by a device and delivered through electrodes on the skin in direct proximity to the muscles to be stimulated.
Electric muscle stimulation helps with the following:
- Relaxation of muscle spasms
- Prevention or retardation of disuse atrophy
- Increasing local blood circulation
- Muscle re-education
- Immediate post-surgical stimulation of calf muscles to prevent venous thrombosis
- Maintaining or increasing range of motion
Intersegmental Traction uses a table that rolls or massages the spine from underneath while the patient lies comfortably on their back. Although not actually a traction device, this table helps with blood flow and to reinforce the adjustment by creating additional movement to spinal joints.
Whole Body Vibration (WBV) Therapy
Whole Body Vibration (WBV) Therapy, as apparent from its name, exposes the entire body to vibration by standing on a platform. This therapy has an immediate effect on muscle performance and improvement of circulation. The rapid contraction and relaxation of the muscles at 20 to 50 times per second basically works as a pump on the blood vessels and lymphatic vessels, increasing the speed of the blood flow through the body. Other than its influence on the muscles, WBV can also have a positive effect on bone mineral density, postural control, and balance.
Spider-tech Kinesiology Taping
Spider-tech Kinesiology Taping is a professionally engineered dynamic therapeutic support for muscles. The taping applications are water-repellent, elastic, and adhesive so they can be worn on the skin for an average of three to five days. Made out of cotton fabric and an acrylic adhesive activated by friction post-application, minimizes post-residue and contains no latex.
There are 3 possible categories of effect which have been identified depending on the method of application and the therapeutic outcome desired.
- Dynamically supports better postural positions
- Prevent harmful ranges of motion without a hard end feel
- Reduce strain on affected muscle
- Enhanced sensory stimulation leading to decreased perception of pain
- Restoration of normal muscle activation and function
- Reinforces the restoration of functional stability
- Promotes peripheral neuroplasticity
- Stimulation of the skin’s endogenous analgesic system
- Wave pattern formation
- Superficial fascial thixotrophy
- Improved lymphatic flow
- Improved superficial microcirculatory flow
The End Result
- The patient is able to achieve early engagement in pain-free ranges of motion and strengthening exercises
- The patient becomes an active participant in the therapeutic process
- The patient is able to take the therapy home with them maintaining the treatment objectives between their treatments
Standard Process is the company we order all our nutritional supplies from. Their philosophy is that optimal nutrition is achieved by eating whole foods. Their product formulas contain unique combinations of whole food ingredients (whole plants, animal tissue extracts and concentrates, and botanicals), which contain essential vitamins, phytonutrients, and minerals to provide optimal health to our patients.